5 Tips for Physical Health & Wellbeing
We all know how important physical health is but beyond exercise what else is there to consider?
First, let's define physical health. It's a state of well-being when all internal and external body parts, organs, tissues, and cells can function properly as they are supposed to function. This definition challenges us to think beyond a dress size or the numbers on a scale, right?
There's no such thing as perfect health and we all have areas we can improve in myself included.
If you need a few quick tips for improving your physical health and well-being beyond exercise keep reading.
Tips to Improve your Physical Health:
- Sure we all know we should be drinking half our body weight in ounces but sometimes it just doesn't happen. So set a realistic goal if you're new to drinking water. Try drinking 8 ounces of water first thing in the morning. That's it! Did you know that many studies have shown that mild dehydration can impair mood, memory, and brain performance? So create a morning routine of replenishing your body with good ole fashion water first thing in the morning.
- Give intermittent fasting a try. This isn't about weight loss but more so about establishing an eating pattern versus eating and snacking all day long. This is not about changing what you eat but let's consider when you eat. Intermittent fasting has been shown to improve numerous different risk factors, including blood pressure, total and LDL cholesterol, blood triglycerides, inflammatory markers, and blood sugar levels. Intermittent fasting (IF) has been a part of my life for about four years now and I love it. When my food choices are slacking I lean into the structure of IF. Learn more about IF here
- Sometimes you just have to laugh. According to Everyday Health, laughter is one of the most commonly used complementary therapies among cancer patients, who find that one of the benefits of laughter is an improved quality of life. There is something to be said for quality of life as we grow in age and wisdom. You can be a perfect size 6, beautiful, and have the best job in the world and your quality of life be trash! With all the serious issues in the world take a moment to laugh a little. Why? Research suggests that laughter increases blood flow, reduces pain, and strengthens your spirit.
- Try a new activity that incorporates movement. Get creative. Try a new stretch, walk a different route, play some new music, and move, dance! Movement improves mood and boosts energy.
- Finally, get more sleep! Sleep provides the body with an opportunity to restore and heal itself. Getting plenty of sleep and rest does not make you a weak or lazy person. It takes courage to release control and go to sleep when you feel like the world is on your shoulders. Sleep is not passive. It's active. While you sleep, your blood pressure goes down, giving your heart and blood vessels a bit of a rest. our body temperature drops, and your breathing and heart rate become regular. Your tissues grow and repair, hormones are released, and blood supply to your muscles increases. Your energy is restored!
What tip can you implement today to improve your physical health? Read our other blog posts on mindful living here.
Our Meditate with God blog has been selected as one of the Top 20 Christian Health & Fitness Blogs on the web.